Requirements for the US


Ready to start planning your wedding in Italy? Be sure to complete the paperwork listed below, which is required by the Italian law in order to obtain a marriage license. The documents below serve as an indication for you but be sure to check how the City Hall where you are planning your wedding interprets them.


  • Valid US Passport
  • Birth Certificate: must be the original document, with Apostille and translated into Italian. To get the Apostille stamp, send your original document to the Secretary of State of the state in which you were born.
  • Evidence of termination of any marriage: can be a final divorce decree, annulment decree or death certificate of former spouse, unless any previous divorce, annulment or death has been recorded properly on the Atto Notorio. It must be translated into Italian and sealed with an Apostille.

If you plan to get married in a Roman Catholic Church also bring your baptism and confirmation certificates.

If you are under 18 you will also need a sworn statement by parents or legal guardian.

If the bride had a previous marriage, it must have been dissolved at least 300 days before the date of the proposed marriage. If not, the woman must obtain a waiver from the Procura della Repubblica press oil Tribunale (District Attorney’s office) at the Palazzo di Giustizia (Courthouse) in the city where you plan to get married, along with a medical evidence that the applicant is not pregnant.

All documents released in your country of origin must be translated into Italian, authenticated by the nearest Italian Consulate and legalized for use in Italy with the Apostille stamp, placed by the secretary of State.

  • Atto Notorio: obtainable from the Italian Consulate closest to your current residence. It states that that is no obstacle to his/her marriage and requires to be sworn by two witnesses. It can also be requested in any Tribunale Ordinario in Italy, but requires many revenue stamps, two witnesses over 18 years of age and an interpreter.


  • Nulla Osta: it states that there are no impediments to the marriage, according to the laws of the State where the citizen is a resident. To obtain it, you need to visit the Consular Section close to your wedding destination. This document is valid for three months and costs approximately 50 euros per person. You can download the form and fill it out ahead of time, but be sure to sign it in from of the Consul. Once the Nulla Osta is issued, it must be stamped by the Legalization Office of any Prefettura in the Consular District of the province you plan to get married in.
  • Declaration of Intention: all the above documents must be presented to the Wedding Hall of the city you plan to get married in, together with a Declaration of Intention to Marry, which usually takes place 2 or 3 days prior the wedding.

Civil and Religious Ceremony

A civil ceremony is performed by the Mayor or by one of his deputies, with the presence of two witnesses and an interpreter to translate the ceremony from Italian into English.

A religious ceremony is performed by a Catholic priest, who will register the marriage with the civil authorities, so a civil ceremony will not be needed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *