Requirements for British


Residents in the UK cannot start the documentation process more than 6 months in advance, or 3 months before the wedding date if you are resident in Scotland. The 4 steps you will need to follow to get the paperwork necessary to get married in Italy are:

  1. Certificate of No Impediment – it is issued in the UK and you need to give notice of your marriage to your local registry office, which will sign and date your Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage. Remember to give the exact names as they are written on your passports.
  2. The Statutory Declaration – it is required by the Italian authorities and gives additional information in respect to the Certificate of No Impediment. The solicitor or public notary, who will be in charge of this service, will charge a fee.
  3. Legalization of your Documents for the Italian Authorities – you need to send both your Certificate of No Impediment and the Statutory Declaration to the FCO Legalization Office in Milton Keynes in order to legalize them with a Hague Apostille. Check the fees for this service on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Website.
  4. Translation of your Certificate of No Impediments – unlike the Statutory declaration, you will need to have the legalized Certificate of No Impediment translated, since it will become an Italian legal document. It will need to be translated by a translator based in Italy and sworn before the Italian courts or an Italian Justice of the Peace.

Once all these documents are ready, you will need to send them to us and we will send them to the town hall where you will get married.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *